Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
Mountain Valley Orthopedics provides MRI scans for identifying injuries and conditions in your body. Offered at our East Stroudsburg and Brodheadsville locations, our state-of-the-art open MRI machines provide a safe, noninvasive test that uses a strong magnetic field and radiofrequency waves to produce high-quality images of the inside of the body with no radiation exposure. Open MRI machines produce less noise than traditional MRI machines and provide optimal comfort to our patients without enclosing them.
Mountain Valley Orthopedics is licensed and accredited by the Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) in MRI, and our Brodheadsville location has been granted an additional accreditation in Neurological MRI.
Preparing for an MRI scan and what to expect on your examination day:
- Please inform your MRI scheduling representative if you have a pacemaker, metal fragments in your eyes or body, or types of aneurysm clips and implants.
- Most MRI scans take about 45 minutes each. Some parts of the body may take up to 1–1/2 hours. If you are having 3 or more scans done, you may want to consider scheduling them on separate days.
- You may wear normal street clothes as long as they do not contain any metal, including zippers, snaps, buttons, and metallic thread. You will also be asked to remove all jewelry, glasses, dentures, loose change, wallets, bank or credit cards, wigs, etc.
- If you are on medications, you can continue to take them as prescribed. If you have pain medication, you should also take these so your exam will be more comfortable, as you will have to lie still during the exam.
- When ready for your MRI, you will be asked to lie on the table either head or feet first depending on the type of exam. The table will then move the part of the body being scanned to the center of the magnet. You will hear a loud knocking/buzzing as you are being scanned. Due to the loud noises, you will be given earplugs to wear.
- If you are claustrophobic, please inform the digital imaging technician. There are medications that can be provided for you to make you more at ease. If you are in need of this medication, you will need to have someone available to drive you the day of your exam. Please keep in mind we will do everything we can to keep you as comfortable as possible.
East Stroudsburg Office:
Monday – Thursday, 7:00 a.m. – 7:45 p.m.
Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Saturday, 7:30 a.m. – 3:45 p.m.
Monday – Saturday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
To learn more about our MRI services, please call Mountain Valley Orthopedics at (570) 421-7020. To reach our MRI Department after hours and during the weekend, please call (570) 517-3760 for our East Stroudsburg office and (570) 664-7401 for our Brodheadsville office.